Date Published: 2/23/2021
Publisher: Frank Amato Publications
Hybrid Timber Framing has experienced a massive resurgence in modern architecture. The potential for gorgeous personalized design is unmatched. Hybrid Timber Framing done wrong, however, can create ugly imbalance and detract from the overall look and feel. Done right, it goes so far beyond the initial investment, the value is hard to overstate.
The Art of Hybrid Timber Framing explores the link between traditional craftsmanship, with current building styles such as "Craftsman", "Rustic", "Modern" and beyond. It is a must-read for Owners, Designers, and Builders who want to influence the look and feel of their project using exposed beam construction. It is rich with ideas, imagery, and instruction to jump start your inspiration and planning.
Naturally, timbers and exposed beams have outsized impact on the aesthetics of building projects. Adding timbers without weighing the structural and aesthetic impacts can magnify any awkward imbalances; proceeding without addressing these important considerations is very risky.
While this is not a technical manual, you will learn how to avoid expensive pitfalls and understand the diverse timber styles showcased in this book. This will help you better communicate your ideas, achieve an enjoyable building process, and maximize your probabilities of getting the right look using hybrid timber framing. This guide will help you plan and build it right the first time!
You will Discover:
• How to achieve optimized beauty by first defining ugly
• Where to draw the line with hybrid timber framing
• Seven chapters portraying diverse and unique timber styles
• How to avoid the over simplified “Hail Mary” approach
• How to accurately predict the cost of hybrid timber framing
Learn from a Master of Hybrid Timber Framing. There is absolutely no need to repeat needless mistakes. Bert Sarkkinen, the author, has explored timber framing from the perspective as a builder, a designer and a researcher. His specialty has been in matching clients’ personalities and tastes, to the ideal timber frame designs to accentuate what is unique about the clients project or theme. The book delves into these relationships between design preferences, and actual Hybrid Timber Frame applications. Structural aspects, timber sizing, the golden ratio, and design/build processes are necessary for a successful the outcome. This book is highly informative, with beautiful photography, and is like a coach in your pocket a with personal touch!
About The Author
When Bert Sarkkinen was 16, he quit his job as a farm hand and went to work for his father as a framing apprentice. This golden opportunity gave him the foundation to become a trailblazer in the hybrid timber framing industry.
Fascinated with the way people tick, Sarkkinen discovered that he could match people to the right timber framing options by understanding their personalities. Ultimately, when their wants and needs are properly analyzed, it results in a personalized Timber Framing experience that exceeds expectations.
He understands nuances in personality types, such as thinkers tend to go for function before form. The way people talk, the vernacular they use, can say a lot about their real tastes.
Through a “Trial By Fire” Bert Sarkkinen built his team and dialed in the best people to take the vision of his company to the next level. As the company gained more traction, and employees took more ownership, Bert became a visionary and a leader, teaching the craft of timber framing to others as well as instilling in them years of expertise as an ally to help them succeed.
Today, Bert Sarkkinen is not only the founder of Arrow Timber, he is also the author of The Art of Hybrid Timber Framing, releasing as a second edition, January, 2021. The book is a guide for people who want to explore Timber Framing, and for those who enjoy the unique aesthetics it offers architecture and homebuilding. It is a look into the amazing world of Timber Framing and it makes for a beautiful coffee table book.
Bert can discuss:
· How Timber Framing can be personalized art
· How one can discover unknown aspects of their personality by their preferences in style and design – the quiz he created for potential clients
· What is personalized art? What happens when it is done right? When it is done wrong?
· What do you mean when you suggest people should focus on outward things and not on inward things?
· Why is it important for people to value their gifts? What words of wisdom can you share about not “downplaying” ones’ self?
· Why do you recommend people to always break a sweat before taking a shower?
· What are daddy long legs?
· Advice to future business leaders about tenacity and perseverance.
· What are the four levels of “ugly” and how does this tie into being happy?
a Rafflecopter giveaway